Employment - Assistant Stewards - Vessels
Assistant Stewards - Vessels
Marine Atlantic Inc
Weekdays Weekends Evenings Nights Shift On-Call Holidays
What do I need to be considered for this adventure?
- Be 18 years of age or older*
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Superior customer service skills
- Experience or education in the hospitality or customer service industry is considered an asset
- Strong commitment to safety
- High level of self-motivation
- Professional oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work 12 hours a day in a customer focused environment
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical or willingness to obtain one at your own expense
- Minimum Education High School Diploma or GED or;
- An equivalent combination of education, job-related training and experience will be considered
- Candidates must successfully complete applicable training as provided
Join us, navigate your career and chart a course for success!
Click ‘Apply Online’ and submit your application
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at email@example.com.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*In order to work unrestricted hours on our vessels, as per Transport Canada, you must be 18 years of age or older.
How To Apply
Marine Atlantic Inc will be accepting applications for this opportunity via their Human Resource Information System (HRIS), or other external site. Please follow the link and the instructions below carefully. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
Are you seeking an exciting opportunity to build your career, work in a fast-paced team environment, interact with people from all over the world and make life-long friends?
Marine Atlantic is seeking candidates to become Assistant Stewards on our vessels, as part of our Passenger Services Department.
Marine Atlantic is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. Preference may be given to members of the following under-represented groups: women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your application.
As part of our Passenger Services’ team your responsibilities will include but are not limited to customer service and housekeeping duties. For the travelling public, you are the face of our organization and proactively assist our passengers. You will be required to provide our customers with a safe, professional, helpful service while onboard our vessels!
As an Assistant Steward, you will be working in an on call, spare and relief, unionized position. Although, most of your work will be in the summer season, you will be on call all year. Your shifts and schedule will be based on our operational requirements and in accordance with the applicable collective agreement.
To prepare you for your role as an Assistant Steward, you will be required to participate and successfully complete an extensive training program provided by Marine Atlantic.
As a Marine Atlantic employee, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training and development programs that could lead to a variety of career growth opportunities. Other great benefits of employment include competitive salaries, a defined benefit pension plan and comprehensive health benefits package. Marine Atlantic is dedicated to creating a respectful and inclusive environment that values Safety, Diversity, Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork and Commitment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing professional, friendly, helpful customer service
- Proactively engaging and assisting our passengers
- Performing housekeeping services, including cleaning of cabins, washrooms, and public areas, maintaining our high standards
- Working in our food and beverage service areas
- Participate in regulatory safety drills, including but not limited to, fire, boat, and abandon ship drills. Duties will range from assisting passengers in muster areas, assisting lifeboat, fire and medical teams.
- Contributing to an inclusive, respectful and safe workplace while upholding our corporate values
Hourly Assessment Rate: $15.683 (during assessment period)
Hourly Rate 1: $23.322 (first 1440 hours of compensated service after completion of assessment period)
Hourly Rate 2: $26.502
What will my schedule look like?
As an on call, spare and relief employee, your shifts will be scheduled in accordance with operational requirements, and you will be called to work on an as needed basis. Because of the nature of spare and relief status, it is not possible to guarantee the amount of shifts you may be required to work. Employees work 12 hour shifts and may be required to work a maximum of 45 days straight. However, while still in spare and relief status you may be required to work in intervals across our fleet and throughout both tours. These are unionized positions covered by UNIFOR. Throughout your career you will have the opportunity to obtain a regular assigned position and work schedule. A regular work schedule is a monthly tour pattern, consisting of 15 days on and 15 days off, that normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month.
What will training look like?
Transport Canada requires that all hired vessel employees receive specific marine safety training, as well as obtain a Transport Canada Marine Medical Examination. New crew members undergo approximately 25 days of initial paid training. Training includes, but is not limited to:
- STCW 6.1 (Basic Safety)
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Marine Evacuation Systems, Passenger Safety Management
- Hazard Prevention Program
- Food & Beverage Service
- Respectful Workplace
- New Employee Orientation and Onboard Training
Our goal during this time is to equip you with all the tools necessary for a successful career at sea onboard Marine Atlantic’s vessels. All training, along with any travel, accommodations, or meals required to complete training, is arranged and provided by Marine Atlantic. Travel is reimbursed in accordance with the applicable Collective Agreement and Marine Atlantic’s Travel Policy. Training will start for some as early as mid-March 2023 with new sessions taking place each month up to approximately June 2023.
What does life onboard look like?
Working and living onboard Marine Atlantic’s vessels is a great opportunity and experience. You will be provided uniforms, accommodations and meals while living onboard our vessel. Assistant Stewards are required to share a cabin with another crew member. You will have the opportunity to build meaningful friendships with diverse co-workers and gain professional skills in a unique environment.
This employment opportunity is open for: Canadian, Permanent Residents, and Temporary Residents who are able to work for any employer in Canada (Study Permit and Open work permit holders).
Only applicants who are authorized to work in Canada will be considered.
- North Sydney
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- Nova Scotia
- Marine Atlantic Inc
- NOC Code
- Experience Required
- An Asset
- Available Openings
- Pay Type
- To be Determined
- To be Determined
- Estimated Weekly Hours
- Start Date
- End Date
- Language Proficiency Level
- Posted on
- November 22nd 2022
- December 22nd 2022
Employer Profile - Marine Atlantic Inc
Marine Atlantic Inc
- Organization ID
- Organization Name
- Marine Atlantic Inc
- Organization NAICS
- Deep sea, coastal and Great Lakes water transportation (4831)
- 65 Memorial Drive
- North Sydney
- Nova Scotia
- Postal Code
- B2A 3V2