Employment - Economic Development Officer (EDO) – Richmond County & Town of Port Hawkesbury
Economic Development Officer (EDO) – Richmond County & Town of Port Hawkesbury
Cape Breton Partnership
Are you a driven, multi-talented individual with a passion for business attraction and investment readiness? Are you seeking a supportive work environment where you can do your best work and thrive among a team of professionals? Then you could be the Cape Breton Partnership’s next Economic Development Officer (EDO) for Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury!
- Reporting to the President & CEO, the EDO is responsible for business attraction & investment readiness initiatives within Richmond County and Town of Port Hawkesbury regions of the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CB REN).
- Work with Cape Breton Partnership, the Municipality of the County of Richmond, the Town of Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI), Eastern District Planning Commission (EDPC), Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), and other partners to support new business investment in Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Work with Cape Breton Partnership and municipal staff to support the marketing and sale of lots available in municipal-owned business parks including the Point Tupper Heavy Industrial Park, the Richmond County Light Industrial Park and the shared business park in the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Collaborate with the Cape Breton Partnership's communications team to develop a coordinated marketing and branding strategy designed to attract investors and new businesses to the region.
- Collect, aggregate and/or maintain relevant business and economic data for Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury, in collaboration with the CB REN team.
- Provide support and advice, as needed and/or requested, to the CAOs and other municipal staff to support the development or revision of municipal policies which will support commercial growth and protect municipal interests
- Lead, manage and/or support municipal priority projects related to economic development as required
- Develop strong relationships with local, regional and national business support organizations to ensure Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury are best positioned for growth.
- Contribute to and/or organize area task forces and committees such as the Strait of Canso Offshore Wind Task Force, Strait area Working Group, and other initiatives as they arise.
- Update and maintain a local land database of site inventory.
- Attend and contribute to various Municipal council and committee meetings that are often held in the evening.
- Other duties as required.
Must-have skills and qualifications:
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution, such as Business Administration, Communications, Economics or similar designation, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Industrial/Commercial Development, Real Estate Sales, Business Marketing, or related field.
- Strong project management and contract management skills.
- Attention to detail and solid planning skills while approaching a project.
- Must be a self-starter, someone who takes initiative and has the ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal direction.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal government, relevant planning and economic development legislation, development approval processes, business park development, infrastructure requirements for business development, and taxation structures.
- Strong knowledge of business theories and practices as well as knowledge of local and regional economic development potential and opportunities.
- Valid Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Strong English communication skills are required (verbal/written).
- Ability to design and deliver presentations effectively.
- The successful candidate will possess a positive attitude; proven interpersonal skills, and the ability to network with communities, businesses, economic development professionals and a wide variety of other organizations.
- Proven interpersonal skills, being able to exercise sound judgement, tact, and discretion when dealing with others.
- Must be tactful and able to exercise sound judgement and discretion when working or interacting with community leaders, diverse community groups, and all levels of government.
- Effective computer skills. The successful candidate must be familiar with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as virtual communication tools like Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
Nice-to-have skills and qualifications:
- Ability to speak multiple languages
- Certification in economic development and project management
- Experience with CRM tools such as Insightly
- The EDO will work Monday-Friday in an office environment, traveling to and from clients’ places of work or to meeting locations convenient for clients’ needs, with the option to work from home 2 days a week, provided you have a strong and reliable internet connection.
- Frequent sitting or standing while using a computer is required.
- Flexibility in working hours is required as some work will happen outside of regular hours.
- You may be required to travel frequently throughout the Island to fulfil the duties of this role.
- Office location: Port Hawkesbury.
- Full-time contract beginning as soon as possible until March 31, 2023, with strong possibility of renewal.
- Benefits package and free access to the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Any offer of employment will be conditional on the provision of valid proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (Information on proof of vaccination can be found here: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/vaccine/#proof-of-vaccination), with the exception of cases where an individual has a valid and documented exemption in accordance with Nova Scotia Human Rights (https://humanrights.novascotia.ca/vaccines-workplace-and-other-public-spaces).
- Offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate’s ability to accept and comply with all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, confidentiality, intellectual property, non-solicitation, and conflict of interest policies.
About the Cape Breton Partnership:
The Cape Breton Partnership is Cape Breton-Unama’ki’s private sector-led economic development organization that supports companies and entrepreneurs by promoting our island as a great place to live and invest; growing a culture that values and celebrates creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; and connecting entrepreneurs and companies to the resources they need to succeed.
The island-wide organization, led by a Board of Directors, runs a number of programs and initiatives, and administers two Regional Enterprise Networks (RENs):
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality Regional Enterprise Network (CBRM-REN)
- Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CB-REN), which includes:
- the Municipalities of the Counties of Victoria, Richmond, & Inverness;
- the First Nation Communities of Membertou, Eskasoni, We’koqma’q, & Wagmatcook; &
- the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
With approximately 20 staff located across Cape Breton-Unama’ki, the Cape Breton Partnership works with all levels of government, and private and non-profit groups to help foster inclusive economic growth on the Island.
How To Apply
Cape Breton Partnership will be accepting applications for this position via email. Please follow the instructions below carefully. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
Please forward your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to: email@example.com.
Interested, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply right away as this position is open until filled; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on an ongoing basis.
This employment opportunity is open for: Canadian, Permanent Residents, and Temporary Residents who are able to work for any employer in Canada (Study Permit and Open work permit holders).
Only applicants who are authorized to work in Canada will be considered.
- Port Hawkesbury
- The Town of Port Hawkesbury
- Nova Scotia
- Cape Breton Partnership
- NOC Code
- Professional occupations in business management consulting (1122)
- Experience Required
- Available Openings
- Pay Type
- To be Determined
- Estimated Weekly Hours
- Start Date
- April 25th 2022
- End Date
- March 31st 2023
- Language Proficiency Level
- Fluent (CLB 10-12)
- Posted on
- March 22nd 2022
- May 22nd 2022
Employer Profile - Cape Breton Partnership
Cape Breton Partnership
- Organization ID
- Organization Name
- Cape Breton Partnership
- Organization NAICS
- Business, professional, labour and other membership organizations (8139)
- 285 Alexandra Street
- Nova Scotia
- Postal Code
- B1S 2E8