Job Details - Mental Wellness Coordinator - EDGE Program
Mental Wellness Coordinator - EDGE Program
YMCA of Cape Breton
Title: Mental Wellness Coordinator
Reports to: EDGE Program Director
Position Status: Full Time, 1 Year Term
Salary Range: $28.00 /hour
Start Date: As soon as possible
Office Location: Sydney (virtual & in-person blended service delivery)
The YMCA of Cape Breton is looking for a dynamic self-starter to join our team as Mental Wellness Coordinator – supporting the EDGE Pilot Program. The pilot is the first of its kind in Nova Scotia and is designed to support youth in achieving financial independence more quickly and reduced reliance on Employment Support and Income Assistance (ESIA).
The YMCA Experience
The YMCA of Cape Breton is a charitable organization dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of responsibility to themselves, each other and the global community. In joining the YMCA you will become part of a dedicated team of individuals with great passion for supporting each other and the communities in which we serve. You commit to embracing and promoting the YMCA culture of philanthropy, inclusion and allyship both in and outside of the workplace.
The EDGE Pilot Project is an early intervention program that provides targeted employment-focused programming for Employment Support and Income Assistance (ESIA) youth, Child, Youth and Family Supports (CYFS) youth, and youth-at-risk between the ages of 18 and 26, who are assessed as job ready. The Mental Wellness Coordinator will provide mental wellness programming and consultations, as a part of a dynamic team at EDGE, specifically they will:
- Provide mental health support and interventions for participants who are living with mental illness, mental health crises and trauma;
- Establish individualized mental wellness plans with a youth, in support of their return to work action plan;
- Assess youth readiness for EDGE group participation and employment;
- Make recommendations to youth for mental health resources and supports for those not yet ready and/or make a case plan for the preparation for EDGE participation;
- Provide support and guidance to participant’s identified family so they can better support the EDGE participant;
- Work in collaboration with the EDGE team for optimal programming support and mental health connections;
- Train and educate staff to increase competency in this area and to understand the limitations of the supports that they can provide;
- Propose appropriate programs and develop curriculum to promote mental wellness and create a library of resource materials for staff, youth and families;
- Provide rapid response to stressful family situations for youth as they transition to independence;
- Connect clients to provincial mental health system to, where applicable;
- Liaise and collaborate with provincial mental health systems to establish a referral system that connects EDGE participants to these services in a timely manner;
- Deliver weekly workshops on mental wellness related topics;
- Pursue ongoing professional development, to remain responsive to the evolving needs of clients, and; Maintain accurate client files while adhering to stringent internal and professional privacy protocols.
- Participation in Comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Individual & Family YMCA Membership
- Strong Work Life Balance Programs (i.e. Paid Personal and Vacation Days)
- Discounted Childcare and Camp Rates
- Master’s degree in counseling, social work, psychology
- Current license as a Clinical Counsellor, Clinical Social Worker, Counsellor, Clinical psychologist.
- Experience working with youth, young adults and adults with mental health issues, illnesses, past trauma and family issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in mental health interventions for youth, young adults and families
- Demonstrated expertise with collaborative case management, working within a multi-disciplinary team environment, and preforming mental health assessments
- The best candidate will have recent and substantial experience in the direct delivery of work with youth at risk;
- Experience in working with youth in family reconciliation, mediation and conflict management capacity
- Knowledge of youth and family community resources, programs and services within the community and within Nova Scotia
- Knowledge, understanding and experience in working with culturally and socially diverse Youth
- Demonstration of experience in working from a strengths-based and relationship-based perspective
- A wide variety of therapeutic and treatment approaches for persons with mental health challenges and family/relationship related barriers, such as: A.C.T., emotion regulation therapy, anger management therapy, C.B.T., motivational interviewing, inner child work, gestalt therapy etc.
The Employer is following all COVID-19 pandemic physical distancing and health and safety protocols as dictated by Public Health. Therefore, there is flexibility for this position to work from home, or in the community (following strict health and safety protocols), or in the office as the situation permits.
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry Check. They will also be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training, as well as, successfully complete First Aid and CPR training. Travel within CBRM will be required.
Please email your cover letter and resume, in one document, to Jacqueline.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference YMCA-EDGE-MWC in the subject line and note only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is an equal opportunity employer.
Intended Job Posting Audience
This employment opportunity is open for: Canadian, Permanent Residents, and Temporary Residents who are able to work for any employer in Canada (Study Permit and Open work permit holders).
Only applicants who are authorized to work in Canada will be considered.
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- Nova Scotia
- YMCA of Cape Breton
- NOC Code
- Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4165)
- Experience Required
- Available Openings
- Pay Type
- Pay Rate
- To be Determined
- Estimated Weekly Hours
- Start Date
- May 17th 2021
- End Date
- March 31st 2022
- Language Proficiency Level
- Beginner (CLB 1-3)
- Posted on
- May 3rd 2021
- June 20th 2021
Employer Profile - YMCA of Cape Breton
YMCA of Cape Breton
- Organization ID
- Organization Name
- YMCA of Cape Breton
- Organization NAICS
- 399 Charlotte Street
- Nova Scotia
- Postal Code
- B1P 1E3