Employment - Town Clerk/Treasurer
Anchored Recruiting Ltd.
Employer: Town of Lockeport
Title: Town Clerk/Treasurer
Position: Full Time Permanent (Non- Unionized)
Hours of Work: Mon – Fri, 8:30am - 4:00pm (32.5 hrs/wk.) Attend two Council meetings/month
Job Location: Lockeport, NS
Compensation Package: $60,000 annually, 12 days vacation, paid sick time, personal time, time off in lieu, statutory holidays, health benefits (cost shared), life insurance paid by employer (equal to one year’s salary) and defined contribution plan (employee contributes up to 4% of gross salary, matched by employer).
Anchored Recruiting is delighted to partner with the Town of Lockeport to find a Town Clerk/Treasurer to join their growing team.
The Town of Lockeport operates under the Town Clerk/Treasurer structure as per the Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act.
The Town Clerk/Treasurer is responsible for leading a team in the day-to-day activities of the Town in accordance with the Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act; overall manager of staff and facilitator of services; support to the five-member Town Council including attendance at Council and other meetings as required; executes decisions of Council; works closely with Provincial and Federal representatives as well as counterparts in other Municipalities; and the main point of contact for all Town inquiries.
We are looking for a passionate, dedicated and highly organized individual who provides exceptional attention to detail. If you are looking for an opportunity to work in a professional environment and have financial accounting experience, this role is for you!
- Oversight of all departments
- Preparing/responsible for tax billings, tax collections and tax sales
- Maintaining property assessment records
- Responsible for grant writing
- Project management (including researching opportunities, reports and claims)
- Preparing operating and capital budgets
- Managing Accounts payable
- Managing Accounts receivable
- Responsible for reports including provincial reports, wastewater reports and WCB reports.
- Managing Capital purchases
- Develop and manage Tender and Request for Proposal documents/processes
- Responsible for tracking and record keeping of vacation and medical leave records
- Pension plan administrator
- Asset management
- Emergency Management responsibilities
- Records management
- Prepare advertisements
- Assist/lead employment interviews
- Authorize Capital purchases
- Development Officer duties
- Develop and maintain records of all Town policies and by-laws
- Responsible for website and social media maintenance
- Town representative, responsible for shared services/inter-municipal agreements (i.e. planning, development, solid waste, EMO, fire, etc.).
- Follow internal policies and best practices at all times, which includes but is not limited to a scent free workplace, and health and safety work environment
- A graduate of a recognized post-secondary institution with a degree or diploma in financial accounting with a minimum of five years experience.
- Highly proficient in financial systems; experience with TownSuite Financial would be considered an asset.
- A thorough understanding of various levels of Government (Municipal, Provincial and Federal)
- Knowledge of local government would be considered an asset.
- The ability to work effectively in a politically sensitive environment, maintaining a high level of confidentiality and trust.
- Strong diplomatic and conflict resolution skills.
- High degree of analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing at a professional level with proper grammar and language.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
The Town of Lockeport undertakes to foster the provision of advice, tools and resources to help employees prevent and resolve conflicts, to feel safe to bring forward issues and complaints, and to navigate what can be a complex process. Leaders at all levels will be encouraged to demonstrate a commitment to a workplace that is free from harassment, reinforce a respectful organizational culture, and take action when inappropriate behaviour occurs. As an organization that seeks to foster safe inclusive spaces, we are committed to these principles, which is reflected in our practices.
The Town of Lockeport invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
If interested in this opportunity, please click the 'Apply to this Job' button. Please note this position will remain open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed in two-week windows.
All information collected will be shared with our client, The Town of Lockeport. By submitting this application, Anchored Recruiting will be adding you to our Talent pool database. You may be contacted in the future regarding future job opportunities. Please note that this position is open to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents only.
How To Apply
Anchored Recruiting Ltd. will be accepting applications for this opportunity via their Human Resource Information System (HRIS), or other external site. Please follow the link and the instructions below carefully. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
This employment opportunity is open for: Canadian, Permanent Residents, and Temporary Residents who are able to work for any employer in Canada (Study Permit and Open work permit holders).
Only applicants who are authorized to work in Canada will be considered.
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- Nova Scotia
- Anchored Recruiting Ltd.
- NOC Code
- Experience Required
- Available Openings
- Pay Type
- Estimated Weekly Hours
- Start Date
- End Date
- Posted on
- May 16th 2023
- June 15th 2023
Employer Profile - Anchored Recruiting Ltd.
Anchored Recruiting Ltd.
- Organization ID
- Organization Name
- Anchored Recruiting Ltd.
- Organization NAICS
- 180 Townsend Street
- Nova Scotia
- Postal Code
- B1P 5E5