Employment - Economic Development Officer - Victoria County
Economic Development Officer - Victoria County
Cape Breton Partnership
Are you a self-motivated and skilled communicator with a passion for inclusive economic growth and development? Do you have a positive attitude and a thoughtful approach when supporting others to find the answers they are looking for? Then you could be the Cape Breton Partnership’s next Economic Development Officer for the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CBREN) program in the Municipality of the County of Victoria!
In this role, you will support businesses, entrepreneurs, and municipal staff to develop the local economy, attract investment, and ensure Victoria County is best positioned for further growth and success. You will also work collaboratively with the Partnership team to support an island-wide approach to economic development. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who likes adventure and wants to live and work in an environment that is implementing new adventure tourism initiatives while showcasing its unique qualities for new and existing businesses.
What you will do:
- Work collaboratively with Cape Breton Partnership, Victoria County staff, and other partners to develop and support business attraction & investment readiness initiatives within Victoria County, including adventure tourism initiatives, business growth, mixed use and housing developments, business start-ups and succession planning.
- Provide guidance and support to local small business operators on business best practices, access to business resources, business planning, etc.
- Provide consultation on planning and starting of new businesses.
- Work with the Cape Breton Partnership staff to develop and execute marketing and investment attraction activities designed to attract investors and new businesses to the region.
- Collect and maintain Victoria County’s current business activity and current economic data.
- Provide guidance to CAO and other municipal staff as required to ensure the timely development of policies that will support commercial growth and protect municipal interests.
- Develop strong relationships with local, regional, and national business support organizations to ensure Victoria County is best positioned for growth.
- Respond to requests for regional information from various stakeholders, including real estate agents, municipal partners, provincial agencies, and the general public.
- Work with local community development groups to mutually align their strategic priorities with Cape Breton Partnership, Victoria County, and local business development groups.
- Assist with delivery of Cape Breton Partnership’s business support programs.
- Conduct research, prepare reports and educational texts or articles.
- Manage contracts and/or projects designed to improve the local economy and investment climate in Victoria County.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you can achieve:
By joining our team of professionals, you will become a part of an organization that recognizes the importance of island-wide economic growth and development for the prosperity of Cape Breton—Unama’ki. As the Economic Development Officer, you will play an important role in promoting our island as a great place to live, work, study, and invest.
Education and Knowledge:
- Post-secondary education from a recognized academic institution in a relevant discipline, such as Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, or similar, or a suitable combination of education, certifications and/or experience.
- 3 years experience in business development or project management.
- Knowledge of business theories and practices as well as knowledge of local and regional economic development potential and opportunities, i.e. adventure tourism and eco-tourism.
- Knowledge of municipal government, relevant planning and economic development legislation, development approval processes, business attraction, infrastructure requirements for business development, project management and taxation structures.
Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Strong attention to detail, time management and planning skills.
- Exemplary presentation and analytical skills; must be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, including senior leaders, government officials, and entrepreneurs.
- Team player with a positive attitude and proven interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work effectively and efficiently with minimal direction.
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple projects and tasks at the same time in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong English communication skills (verbal/written).
- Ability to network with communities, businesses, economic development professionals and a wide variety of other organizations.
- Must be tactful and able to exercise sound judgement and discretion when working or interacting with community leaders, diverse community groups, and all levels of government.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Political awareness and sensitivity.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams and Zoom and other similar tools).
- Ability to speak multiple languages.
- Certification in economic development and/or project management.
- Experience using a CRM tool.
- Previous municipal government experience.
- Previous entrepreneurial experience.
- Familiarity with the Cape Breton – Unama’ki business community.
- Monday-Friday in an office environment, traveling to and from clients’ places of work or to meeting locations convenient for clients’ needs, with the option to work remotely up to 2 days per week, provided you have a strong and reliable internet connection and can maintain confidentiality.
- Frequent sitting or standing while using a computer is required.
- Flexibility in working hours is required as some work will happen outside of regular hours.
- Frequent travel throughout the island may be required to fulfil the duties of this role.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Work location: Baddeck; flexibility with remote working or multi-site office locations may be available depending on the successful candidate’s proximity to our established office location in Baddeck.
- Salary: $55,000-$67,000
- Full-time contract beginning as soon as possible until March 31, 2024, with the possibility of renewal.
- Attractive total compensation package that includes vacation, benefits package, and immediate, free access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate’s ability to accept and comply with all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, confidentiality, intellectual property, non-solicitation, and conflict of interest policies.
About the Cape Breton Partnership:
The Cape Breton Partnership is Cape Breton-Unama’ki’s private sector-led economic development organization.
Our Vision: A thriving Cape Breton – Unama’ki.
Our Mission: Transform Cape Breton – Unama’ki into the most creative and prosperous place on earth.
Our Mandate: PROMOTE Cape Breton - Unama’ki as a great place to live, work, and invest; GROW a culture that values and celebrates creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship; and CONNECT entrepreneurs and businesses to the resources they need to succeed.
The island-wide organization, led by a Board of Directors, runs a number of programs and initiatives, including two Regional Enterprise Networks (RENs):
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality Regional Enterprise Network (CBRM-REN)
- Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CB-REN), which includes:
- Municipalities of the Counties of Victoria, Richmond, & Inverness;
- First Nation Communities of Membertou, Eskasoni, We’koqma’q, & Wagmatcook; & Town of Port Hawkesbury.
With approximately 25 staff located across Cape Breton-Unama’ki, the Cape Breton Partnership works with all levels of government, and private and non-profit groups to help foster inclusive economic growth on the Island.
How To Apply
Cape Breton Partnership will be accepting applications for this position via email. Please follow the instructions below carefully. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
To Apply: Please forward your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This opportunity is open until filled; candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on an ongoing basis.
This employment opportunity is open for: Canadian, Permanent Residents, and Temporary Residents who are able to work for any employer in Canada (Study Permit and Open work permit holders).
Only applicants who are authorized to work in Canada will be considered.
- Victoria County
- Nova Scotia
- Cape Breton Partnership
- NOC Code
- Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants (4163)
- Experience Required
- Available Openings
- Pay Type
- To be Determined (Negotiable)
- Estimated Weekly Hours
- Start Date
- End Date
- Posted on
- October 31st 2022
- December 22nd 2022
Employer Profile - Cape Breton Partnership
Cape Breton Partnership
- Organization ID
- Organization Name
- Cape Breton Partnership
- Organization NAICS
- Business, professional, labour and other membership organizations (8139)
- 285 Alexandra Street
- Nova Scotia
- Postal Code
- B1S 2E8